Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An Unexpected Letter

Tye'Naisha is a problematic student. When her previous teachers saw her name on my class roster back in August, they each gave pause before describing her, searching for an appropriate expression of sympathy and concern, as if preparing to diagnose me with a terminal illness. In the months since, I have alternately described her to colleagues as "sweet," "misunderstood," and "pure evil." Although something of a behavioral liability in the cafeteria, in the hallways, and more spectacularly so on field trips, Tye'Naisha is an undeniably gifted writer, and frequently showcases this ability on writing assignments in her above-grade level Language Arts group. She recently wrote the following letter, when asked to write a "thank you" note to anyone in her life:

Dear Mr. Martin,

I would like to thank you for helping me with every thing and chosing me for Student Of The Week. I really want to thank you for being the great teacher that you are, and i no that one day you will find love.

Tye'Naisha

Touching, right? And maybe a little concerning? Someone remind me to keep a copy of this letter by my bed so I can read it as consolation before passing out in an empty bed after a fruitless night at the bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment