Monday, February 16, 2009

An Explanation

When I asked my Language Arts class to compose a paragraph in which they defended their stance on the hypothetical implementation of a mandatory school uniform, I was fairly sure how each student would respond. I knew that Khalick would write one sentence in which he would probably use homophobic language to describe my idea of a school uniform before quitting. I was pretty sure that Joe would break the pencil I had given him before complaining that he could not complete the assignment because he had nothing to write with. Jamesha's immediate response of balling up her paper and throwing it at Drayon was similarly predictable. 

What I did not foresee, however, was Jessica hunched over her paper in deep concentration, writing three paragraphs advocating the incorporation of uniforms, on the grounds that it would be conducive to a more structured learning environment.* She even used the back of the page to draw her detailed and curiously formal interpretation of boys' and girls' uniforms.** What struck me most, however, was her conviction that, one day per week, students should have the right to express themselves by dressing in whatever manner they wished. This would be called "Cagawall Fridays."***

What follows are one teacher's occasional reflections on heartwarming and serendipitous moments like the one just described, when the figurative clouds part and I am ever so briefly reminded of just how fun it can be to work with children. As a fourth-grade teacher at an inner-city school, I find these moments as deeply gratifying as they are elusive. My job is tremendously exasperating and challenging, but it is never boring. The point of this blog is not to vent personal frustrations or glorify the teaching profession, but instead to simply share funny and maybe even enlightening and inspiring anecdotes from my classroom. As always, let me know if I ever sound like a douchebag.

* My words, not hers.
**I'm not going to show you a photo of her drawing, but it involved bow ties for the boys and gloves for the girls.
***An earnest stab at "casual"****
****Footnote usage lifted directly from the works of David Foster Wallace and Taylor's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment